Vancouver Examples - Getting started - How to use this app
See this example properly formatted in the QUT Cite tool.
QUT cite tool has been built to help you create references that meet the requirements of the university and your units.
To use this tool:
- Select the tab for the style you need (check Blackboard, your assignment information or ask your lecturer/tutor if you are not sure).
- Read the Information under Getting started - particularly, In-text citation and Reference list.
- When you are researching, remember to note the details of any works you are likely to use in your essay.
- Whenever you quote, paraphrase or summarize somebody else's work, or copy some information (such as a picture or a table), refer to the In-text citation section to make sure you acknowledge them correctly.
- In your Reference list you will give more details about the work you cited.
- Use the menu on the left of this tool to choose the type of work you are referencing.
- Then use the menu on the right to find an example that is closest to the type of work, sometimes you will need to put together elements from a couple of different examples.
- For variations - check the bright pink buttons. They include:
- Authors - what to do when you have more than one author, no author, an editor, etc.
- DOIs - what are they and how do you find and use one in your reference list
- Publication details - how to deal with anomalies in the date, place or source of an item
- Page, volume, issue - when and how to include page , volume and issue numbers
- Building your own - the basic components of a reference and how to put them together to create your own reference.
- If you cannot find an example that matches the type of work you are referencing, you may have to pick the type closest, combine elements of two different examples or Build your own reference by following the principles of the Vancouver style.
- You could also refer to:
- Citing Medicine: The NLM Style Guide for Authors, Editors, and Publishers (2nd edition)
- ICMJE Recommendations: Sample References.